Monday, November 28, 2011

Home again, home again, dancing a jig

This morning at 10am we were reconnected to gas and electricity and were able to move back in to our apartment. Yiiiippppeee! It has been two weeks since we were cut off and it has been a challenging process to get everything turned back on. Nick had trials today so we moved some things last night. This morning at 7:30am we brought the cats, the litter box and as many other things as we could carry. Nick went to work and I went back to our short-stay apartment; cleaned and packed the rest of our belongings for the final trip back to our apartment to meet the contractor. I am so glad to have all of our things in one spot again. It took about 10-minutes for him to flip all the switches. The electricity came back on right away but the radi
ators weren't turning on. At first I thought it would just take a while for them to warm up but after an hour I was still wearing my touque and mitts. I fiddled around in the utility room
but didn't know where the pilot switch was. Nick came home at lunch and remembered that there was a box in our laundry room and I am happy to say I am snug as a bug in a rug :) Pumpkin, Gizmo and Maggie have been sleeping on the bed all day. The early morning walk over in the cat carriers was very tiring for them, apparently. I am starting to get excited for the holidays and have been checking out decorations at the stores. They have some really pretty and unique things here. I picked up a beautiful cranberry wreath centre piece for the table and we are thinking about getting a small potted evergreen to act as our Christmas tree. Thursday I went for tea with my friend Laura and we picked up dutch Christmas cards. I have been working on them and plan to send them out shortly as I'm not sure how quickly the mail will get overseas especially getting closer to Christmas. Maastricht has a Christmas market in the Vijhof that is currently under construction. I've walked down to monitor the progress a few times and I don't think it will be long now. There is a skating rink, a ferris wheel, mulled wine and vendors from far and wide. I'm really looking forward to experiencing the Christmas Market.
People keep telling me how wonderful it is. We are planning to go to Germany to check out the Christmas market there. They are supposed to have the best Christmas markets. Every day they seem to add a few more lights and decorations to the city streets. They really go all out!

No comments:

Post a Comment