Monday, September 19, 2011

Who needs kids??? We've got kitties! Can you say crazy cat lady???


This year I turned the big three-oh. Dirty thirty! A big milestone in any women's life or so I've been told. I have to be honest, I really wasn't looking forward to this milestone birthday. I remember when I thought 30 was so old. Funny, I don't feel old??? I feel exactly the same as when I turned 20. Wait a second. No, I don't! I am happier, more confident, in better shape, I know what I want and more importantly I know what I don't want. I have an awesome best friend who happens to also be my husband and I'm on a great adventure. I think it's a shame how much pressure we put on ourselves to fit into some preconceived notion of success. The timelines we attach to our successes. Why all the pressure???
I think back to when I was a little girl, probably about 7-years old, upstairs in our play room. There were so many things that I thought I would have by thirty. I can still remember planning my life while playing barbies with my sister Charlotte. I wanted to live in a mansion on the water and drive a pink mustang convertible. Charlotte was less concerned with these things and more concerned with having her barbie ride on the backs of our cats. At the time I thought she was crazy but I think she had it right. Times were simple then. I can still remember saying "When I grow up I will be a secretary, I will get married at twenty-three to Ridge Forrester". What can I say, I loved to hang out with my older sister Leigh who liked to watch the Bold and the Beautiful. I also said I would have two children and I would have them before I was 30. Well 30 has come and no babies except for my furry ones; Pumpkin, Gizmo and Maggie. I really mean it when I say they are like children. Our cats are different from "normal" cats. They require a lot more attention then the average cat. They each have their own distinct personality. Gizmo is intelligent and athletic. Pumpkin is incredibly good looking and a snuggle bug and Maggie is crazy! Yesterday, Maggie and Gizmo were playing in our loft and Maggie fell down the stairs. I was so upset I could not even look at her. I had to have Nick check her out. I'm a wimp when it comes to my baby cats. In the end she was shaken up but fine and back to her normal Madd Maggie self a few minutes later. I know it sounds funny but I see what kind of parents we will be and I think we could be good at it :) It seems as though every time I check out facebook another friend is updating everyone on their pregnancy or children. I am so happy for my friends and love to hear all their stories about the adventures of being expecting or new mom's. I'm excited for the day that we expand our family but I'm not going to attach any timelines. Just like all the other wonderful things in my life I trust that a family will happen when and if it is supposed to. Until then I am very happy to write about our furry family and Nick of course :)

No comments:

Post a Comment