Sunday, August 7, 2011

Welcome to the World!



A beautiful baby girl came in to the world yesterday. Welcome to this wonderful world Rilyn Clarke! Congratulations April and John. We now have the first of the Core Phase 2 running around. Lookout world!
Today on my long run it felt like I was experiencing the world for the first time myself. I'm not sure if others have experienced this on a run but everything just felt right in me and in the world. My senses seemed heightened. The air was fresh, clean and crisp and my stride felt long and swift. Nick joined me on my run because things are closed in the Netherlands on Sundays including the gyms. We ran through the city (more like a village) and up the St Pietersburg hill....more like a mountain :( The stretch up the hill is long and winding but when you reach the top the lookout over the city and the countryside is breath taking. The gingerbread rooftops, stone buildings and churches look straight out of the 1700's. At the top there is a dog park where we see a wide variety of dogs; greyhounds, french bull dogs, sheep dogs and many more. I always point out the cutest ones and Nick always nods in agreement. We scoot into a trail that shoots off from the road. The trail is soft, dry and well groomed and meanders through the dutch countryside. It brings me back to the cross country running days of high school. Nick and I make it back to the apartment 45-minutes later smiling and perspiring. I love the runners high! I've registered for the Amsterdam half marathon in October and look forward to exploring the Netherlands one kilometer at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment